On this week’s A Different Perspective, Dr. Patrick Flynn begins by introducing Nicole Saleske, Nutrition Practitioner at The Wellness Way Green Bay. Nicole shares her story of overcoming rheumatoid arthritis and PCOS and encourages other medical professionals to join her in sharing The Wellness Way. Doc then goes into the definition of VLDL cholesterol and what causes it to rise. He shows how the markers we test for give much more information about atherosclerosis and heart disease risk. On product knowledge, Doc goes into the benefits of passionflower herb for smooth muscle tissue, including that of the heart.
Wellness Way Stories: Nicole Saleske
(Begins at 0:07:48)
Nurse Practitioner Nicole Saleske of The Wellness Way Green Bay shares her Wellness Way Story. Nicole came from the medical field as a labor and delivery nurse. While she loved her job, the medical field failed her in her own health struggles. She was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at age 21 and then developed PCOS and autoimmunity. She gained weight and got sicker and sicker as she went to specialist after specialist. Then she found The Wellness Way.
Perspective: VLDL Cholesterol
(Begins at 0:14:41)
Dr. Flynn adds another significant risk marker for cardiovascular disease that is more important than cholesterol. The medical system decides what to do for you based on your lipid panel (cholesterol numbers –ratio, HDL, LDL, triglycerides). Unfortunately, that does not do a good job of determining your risk for atherosclerosis and heart disease. There are so many other markers that you can add to your lipid panel. The Wellness Way still uses the lipid panel consistently. We go deeper and add some more tests to it. Doc covers:
- The Cholesterol Cycle – VLDL (Very Low-Density Lipoprotein) is a key marker to watch.
- The Mayo Clinic Defines VLDL – VLDL cholesterol: Is it harmful? – Mayo Clinic
- Triglycerides, VLDL, and heart disease – How do you lower VLDL? Reduce your triglycerides. How do you lower triglycerides? Reduce your sugar!
- MedlinePlus Defines VLDL – VLDL Cholesterol (medlineplus.gov)
- How VLDL differs From LDL – VLDL particles mainly carry triglycerides to your tissues. LDL mainly carries cholesterol to your tissues. If your LDL is high, you need more cholesterol! If your VLDL is high, you’re probably eating too much sugar. Your body needs cholesterol to repair tissues and make hormones.
- Patient example #1: 37-year-old Male – This patient has very high triglycerides (649 when it should be under 100). The hemoglobin A1C is 10.9 when it should be under 5.7. An elevated hemoglobin A1C means he’s had high blood sugar for 3-6 months. His HDL is low, his LDL is high, and the ratio off. His large VLDL particle number is also high. Sugar is a contributing factor to his high risk of cardiovascular disease. It’s not the only contributor.
- Keep in mind: 50% of people who die of heart disease are already on a statin drug.
- You can have very high VLDL and normal LDL – At the same time, your arteries could be full of triglycerides, calcium, and atherosclerosis.
- Don’t guess – Test.
What are some things you can do to support cardiovascular health besides lowering your sugar intake? Supplementation can help. Dr. Flynn shares an excellent herb to include: passionflower.
Product Knowledge: Passionflower
(Begins at 0:30:28)
Passionflower has a powerful impact on smooth muscle tissue, which includes the heart muscle. Dr. Flynn talks about passionflower. While passionflower is great for hormone-related cramping (PMS), it can also relax the cardiovascular system. Some of its other benefits include:
- Reducing insomnia
- Decreasing inflammation
- Lowering anxiety
- Supporting skin healing from irritation and burns
- Reducing symptoms of menopause
- Improving blood pressure
You can take it internally or apply it topically. Doc shares a 2002 Austrian study on how passionflower is a reliable herbal sedative. Even though you may take passionflower for smooth muscle or for sleep, it has so many other positive benefits.
Doc’s Thoughts: Last 10%
(Begins at 0:35:50)
Dr. Flynn concludes with his “last 10%,” briefly discussing his thoughts on HDL and LDL cholesterol. There’s so much misinformation out there around cholesterol for the purpose of getting people on pharmaceutical drugs. Both HDL and LDL are made by the liver. It’s not that HDL is good, and LDL is bad. The body just adapts and responds to its environment. Doc has explained why levels of these lipoproteins go up or down based on diet and lifestyle.
Dr. Flynn also briefly touches on a recent CBS News headline: “Biden says COVID-19 pandemic is ‘over’ in U.S.” He talks about why isn’t worried about the next pathogen that goes around. It’s all about having a healthy immune response. That’s why our focus in the month of October is the immune system. The perspective in the world is leading people into sickness. We have A Different Perspective. At The Wellness Way, we’ll help guide you into a healthy, vibrant lifestyle.
Tune in on Saturday Mornings LIVE
Tune in each Saturday at 8:00 am Central for a LIVE episode of A Different Perspective. Make sure to subscribe to this channel on YouTube, so you don’t miss a single video or Livestream. Each week, on A Different Perspective, we bring you the most cutting-edge information on health that you won’t find anywhere else. Tune in for stories of restored hope, changed lives, and a passion for showing the world the power of thinking differently. A Different Perspective is leading a health revolution!