Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is a powerful adaptogenic herb. It’s also known as “Ayurvedic Ginseng” or “Indian Ginseng” because it comes from the traditional medical system of India. Used for centuries to prevent fatigue and burnout and improve the immune response, it’s said to give additional life force or chi to those who need it.
The main bioactive compounds in ashwagandha are withanolides. But scientists have also identified alkaloids and other constituents with therapeutic value. The most studied compound in ashwagandha root is Withaferin A.
Some of the researched benefits of Withaferin A and Ashwagandha, in general, include the following:
- Protects the brain
- Enhances memory and cognition
- Improves the stress response by decreasing cortisol
- Reduces inflammation
- Promotes balanced blood sugar levels
- Enhances energy levels by promoting mitochondrial health
- Promotes restful sleep
- Supports the gastrointestinal tract
- Supports the thyroid
- Protects the liver and kidney from toxins
- Helps the body self-modulate in autoimmune disorders
- May support neuromuscular disorders
*Take as directed by your health care professional.
Finding a good, quality supplement that delivers what is promised on the label isn’t easy. To see our favorite recommendation, visit The Wellness Way store.
Remember, the Swiss watch of the body’s systems is a delicate balance! For more information, to test your systemic functions, and to discover triggers, contact a Wellness Way clinic. We can help you understand how your body is functioning and the best ways to support it!