Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is a powerful adaptogenic herb. It’s also known as “Ayurvedic Ginseng” or “Indian Ginseng” because it comes from the traditional medical system of India. Used for centuries by those suffering fatigue and burnout and supporting the immune response, it’s said to give additional life force or chi to those who need it.
The main bioactive compounds in ashwagandha are withanolides. However, scientists have also identified alkaloids and other constituents with therapeutic value. The most studied compound in ashwagandha root is Withaferin A.
Some of the researched benefits of Withaferin A and Ashwagandha, in general, include the following:
- Protects the brain
- Enhances memory and cognition
- Improves the stress response by decreasing cortisol
- Reduces inflammation
- Promotes balanced blood sugar levels
- Enhances energy levels by promoting mitochondrial health
- Promotes restful sleep
- Supports the gastrointestinal tract
- Supports healthy thyroid function
- Protects the liver and kidney from toxins
- Helps the body self-modulate the immune response
Finding a good, quality supplement that delivers what is promised on the label isn’t easy. To see our favorite recommendation, visit The Wellness Way store.
Your body is like a finely tuned Swiss watch, with each gear affecting all the others. For more information or to get tested, contact a Wellness Way clinic. We’ll help you understand how your body is currently functioning and the best ways to support it!