These blueberry pie bars are a delicious, vegan and and gluten-free taste of summer. Make these blueberry pie bars for a desert or simply a delicious snack.
*Remember to buy organic and avoid your food allergies when making this recipe! If you do not know what your food allergies are get them tested soon!
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup coconut sugar: OR 1/2 cup xylitol w/1 tablespoon organic molasses mixed in
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon aluminum free baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 8 tablespoons vegan buttery stick, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
For the filling:
- 2 1/2 heaping cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
Optional to make this with a hint of lemon flavor:
- zest from 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
Make the base and topping:
- In a large bowl, use a fork to mix together the oat flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add in melted butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Stir until a nice crumble forms and dough begins to clump together.
- Place 1 3/4 cups of the mixture into the prepared pan and place the remaining mixture into the fridge (the remaining mixture will be used for the topping). Use your hands to press the dough evenly to the bottom of the pan.
- Place a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add in blueberries, maple syrup, almond extract, arrowroot, and salt.
- Use a wooden spoon to press down and break down the blueberries just a bit.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for 3-5 more minutes until mixture is thickened up and nicely coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour mixture over the crust and use a spoon to evenly spread.
- Take the remaining topping out of the fridge. There should be some nice crumbles that have clumped together. Sprinkle the topping over the blueberry filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden.
- Allow bars to cool completely on a wire rack before transferring to the fridge to chill. Bars are delicious served at room temperature or straight out of the fridge.