Who doesn’t love to curl up with a warm, homey bowl of chicken and dumpling soup? Keep this cozy favorite on your menu without sacrificing your health!
*Remember to buy organic and avoid your food allergies when making this recipe! If you do not know what your food allergies are get them tested soon!
1 whole organic chicken
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp avocado oil
2 organic bay leaves
5 organic carrots, peeled and sliced
3 ribs organic celery, sliced
fresh organic parsley
sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
GLUTEN FREE DUMPLINGS
2 ¼ cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
¼ tsp xanthan gum: omit if your flour has gum added
1 duck egg, beaten
1 cup organic chicken broth
2 tsp aluminum free baking soda
- Put the whole chicken in a large pan and cover with water. Add the bay leaves. It will take about six to eight cups of water to cover the chicken.
- Bring the pot to a boil and then simmer with the lid on for about an hour. You can skim off the foam from the top of the water as you go.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the onion, carrots, and celery as directed.
- After the chicken has been cooking for about 50 minutes, heat the avocado oil in a second pan. (The second pan should be large enough to accommodate the soup.) Gently sauté the onion, carrots, and celery for about five minutes.
- Add the broth from the chicken to the pan with the vegetables. Let it simmer on a medium heat for a few minutes.
- When the chicken has cooled enough to handle, peel the skin off, tear the meat off the bones, and add it to the soup. Season with salt and pepper.
To make the dumplings
- To make the dumplings, add the dry ingredients to a bowl. Add in the beaten eggs, parsley, and chicken broth, and mix well.
- The dumpling mixture will be thick and sticky. Drop even sized spoonfuls of it into the pan with the soup.
- Cover the soup and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add parsley, salt, and pepper as needed.