Make this healthy and delicious lemon loaf with or without eggs. Serve it warm on a cold day, or cool for a refreshing, lemony treat during the summer!
*Remember to buy organic and avoid your food allergies when making this recipe! If you do not know what your food allergies are get them tested soon!
Lemon Glaze:1 cup powdered xylitol 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line the bottom of a 9 x 4-inch loaf pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the gluten-free flour mix, cornstarch or arrowroot starch, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and enough milk to make a combined total of 2/3 cup. This is making a “buttermilk”. Let that sit.
- Next, use a zester or a grater to zest one lemon. *Be sure to zest just the yellow part of the peel. The white part under the yellow is bitter. You should be able to get around 2 tablespoons of zest. If not use a second lemon. Set aside.
- Juice the lemon. You’ll get around 3 tablespoons of juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, xylitol, milk mixture, lemon zest, l tablespoon of lemon juice, lemon extract. Mix this all together until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in the avocado oil. Next, mix in the flour mixture until combined.
- Pour batter into the parchment-lined 9 x 4-inch loaf pan. Bake for 60-65 minutes. (70-75 minutes if using egg replacement) Test with a toothpick to make sure it’s clear to tell if it’s done.
- Let the lemon loaf sit in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool. Then remove from the pan and peel of the parchment paper from the bottom. Set it on the wire rack to completely cool.
- After the loaf is completely cool mix together 1 cup of xylitol confectioner’s sugar and 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice. If you want it to be more of a glaze use 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and if you want it to be a bit thicker use 1 – 1 1/2 tablespoons.