Serve this delicious enchilada sauce on top of our zucchini enchiladas along with our pumpkin enchilada sauce for a winning combination!
*Remember to buy organic and avoid your food allergies when making this recipe! If you do not know what your food allergies are get them tested soon!
- ½ cup organic avocado oil
- ½ cup organic gluten free flour (1:1 baking flour)
- 3 tbsp ground organic chili powder
- 2 tsp ground organic cumin
- ½ tsp dried organic oregano
- 2 tsp organic garlic powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp coarse organic ground pepper or Grains of Paradise
- 6 oz organic tomato paste
- 1½ quarts organic beef broth
- 1 tbsp organic balsamic vinegar (if you don’t have it, use organic apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp chipotle powder, optional
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, optional (or just organic paprika if you can’t find smoked)
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl: flour, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the oil into your dutch oven (or medium-sized pot) and warm the oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the flour mixture. It will sizzle. stir vigorously as it turns into a roux.
- Immediately add the tomato paste into the roux, stirring well. Right away, start to slowly pour in the broth while continually whisking.
- Increase heat to medium-high and simmer sauce gently, adjusting heat as necessary.
- Keep at a low simmer, whisking regularly to avoid scorching, allowing the mixture to thicken, under 10 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from heat and stir in the vinegar.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary, adding salt and pepper according to your preference.
Helpful tip: measure out all the ingredients before you start. Have them lined up next to your Dutch oven so you can move quickly through the steps with success. You don’t want to be measuring when you should be whisking.