Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) is an herb best known for its protective effects on the liver. It has been used in traditional medicine not only for liver and gallbladder disorders, but also for promoting breast milk production, addressing cancer, and protecting the liver from venom and other poisons. Milk thistle has also been used for neurological conditions for more than two thousand years.
The active ingredient of milk thistle is a mixture of plant compounds called silymarin, a standardized extract from the seeds. The most studied active constituent of silymarin is called silybin (or silibinin).
The constituents found in silymarin and milk thistle seed may:
- Provide antioxidant activity
- Support a normal inflammatory response
- Protect the liver from harmful toxins by supporting normal cellular defenses
- Improve liver function in those with liver disease
- Support normal bile secretion and flow
- Enhance healthy digestive function
- Protect the brain against neurodegenerative diseases
- Regulate neurotransmitter activity
- Support normal processing of hormones in the body
- Reduce the frequency and severity of hot flashes
Finding a good, quality supplement that delivers what is promised on the label isn’t easy. To find our favorite recommendation, visit The Wellness Way store.
Remember, the Swiss watch of the body’s systems is a delicate balance! For more information, to test your systemic functions, and to discover possible triggers, contact a Wellness Way clinic. We can help you understand how your body is functioning and the best ways to support it!