So many of us are reliant on our mobile phones. You will see me with mine for business and for fun! Are cellphones as safe as the companies selling them say they are? We are told that we have nothing to worry about, but we also know that we can’t always believe what we are told. You may have heard me talk about the dangers to exposure of EMFs, or electromagnetic fields, and radiofrequency fields are included as a category of electromagnetic fields. A recent study found that phones tested had radiofrequency radiation higher than the legal safety limit. Is the radiofrequency radiation in your cell phone harmful and what can you do about it?
Study Looks at Radiofrequency Radiation in Popular Phones
The FCC claims that cellphones are safe if the exposure is at or under the safety limits, but the Chicago Tribune wondered if popular cell phones were meeting those safety limits. What do you think they found out? The study by the Chicago Tribune found phones they independently bought, and tested for radiofrequency radiation, were above the legal safety limit. (1)
The Chicago Tribune paid a private lab to test 11 different phones including iPhone and Samsung Galaxy models. The lab used a liquid that was formulated to simulate human tissue and placed phones anywhere from 5- 10 millimeters from the “tissue.” They then tested the liquid to see how much radiation was absorbed.
The iPhone 7 radiofrequency radiation tested over the legal safety limit and more than double what they reported to federal regulators.
There’s something else you should know about the first round of tests. The tests were based on federal regulations that were developed when people still put their phones in carriers on their hips. Now people keep their phones in pockets and sometimes even bras. This means the phones are closer to their bodies.
So, the Chicago Tribune took their independent testing further and tested in the way that people actually use their phones in this decade. They found that the radiofrequency radiation was even higher, and was over the safety limit in more phones including models of the Samsung Galaxy. You can learn about all of their findings, and the response of the FCC in their full article. According to the Chicago Tribune, the FCC plans to look into the matter with their own investigation because they take claims like this seriously. So seriously they haven’t updated regulations since the 80‘s.
Why is Increased Radiofrequency Radiation Dangerous?
We don’t yet understand the long-term effects of frequent exposure to radiofrequency radiation and other EMFs. We are faced with increasing number of EMFs every day and we don’t know what that will do to the human body. Our bodies have their own natural electrical frequency. We do know that EMFs disrupt that natural electrical frequency of the human body and that studies are giving us a glimpse of what it means to be a part of this giant science experiment.
Studies have shown that EMFs can cause DNA damage, even at low frequencies. (2) A group of Swiss albino mice were exposed to radiofrequency radiation for 4-8 hours a day for 35 days and oxidative stress caused DNA damage that led to low sperm counts. (3) A recent major study spent 30 million and found that there was “clear evidence” that radiofrequency radiation from 2G and 3G mobile phones led to heart, brain, and adrenal tumors in male rats. (4) What will be the impact of 5G on our health?
You might be reading this on your phone and let’s be real – nobody can fully escape EMFs in our modern world. Exposure to EMFs can lead to headaches, nausea, joint pain, immune issues, anxiety, depression, fatigue, and potentially cancer. So how do we reduce exposure to EMFs and limit the harm of radiofrequency radiation? We develop healthy, technology habits.
6 Ways to Reduce Exposure and Harm of Radiofrequency Radiation
- Do NOT Put Your Cellphone in Your Pocket or Bra – I need to say that again. Never put your cellphone in your pocket and please never in your bra. Store your cell phone away from your body.
- Use a Headset and Avoid Wireless Earbuds – The makers of your phone will even recommend that you use a headset. You have to look close at your phone manual to find it. Avoid the wireless earbuds that use Bluetooth technology because it uses microwave radiation to transmit the sound.
- Invest in EMF Blockers – You can get an EMF blocker for your phone or one that you can wear personally. A lot of the team at The Wellness Way are fans of Q-link.
- Don’t Sleep with Your Phone – You shouldn’t be sleeping with your phone because it’s bad sleep hygiene and it increases your exposure to EMFs. In fact, remove all electronic devices from your bedroom.
- Monitor Your Child’s Electronic Use – Children are growing up using screens more than we ever did as children. We don’t know what the long-term impact will be on developing bodies. Help your child develop healthy technology habits while they are young.
- Try Grounding – The earth is full of electrons that can help you balance your natural frequency. Grounding is one of my favorite, free health tips! You can do this for free by simply taking off your shoes and feeling the grass between your feet. You can also invest in a grounding mat.
We Must Protect Ourselves from the Dangers of EMFs
The investigation by the Chicago Tribune demonstrates that we can’t count on the cell phone manufacturers to protect consumers from radiofrequency radiation. We must take it upon ourselves to be aware and proactive to the harms of EMFs and how to avoid them.
Written by Dr. Patrick Flynn
For more information on EMF exposure, watch Dr. Patrick Flynn’s short video: