Everybody loves a sloppy Joe, but they are disgusting when the mixture comes from a can! They are easy to make, and you don’t need the extra garbage in the canned version.
Total Prep Time: 25 minutes Makes: 6-7 servings
*Remember to buy organic and avoid your food allergies when making this recipe! If you do not know your food allergies, get them tested soon!
2 tablespoons butter or ghee (optional)
2 pounds of grass-fed organic ground beef
1/2 whole large onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced or garlic powder
1-1/2 cup organic ketchup (or make your own ketchup)
1 cup water
2 Tablespoons coconut palm sugar
3 teaspoons chili powder (more to taste)
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce (optional)
black pepper (to taste)
sea salt (to taste)
- Add butter to a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef, onion, and garlic, and cook until brown. If using grass-fed beef, there shouldn’t be much leftover grease.
- Add ketchup, coconut sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water.
- Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Worcestershire if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve over gluten-free rolls. You can get creative and put over veggies or atop baked sweet potatoes.